Last updated 2020-06-01 05:14:17 SGT
- 150g dry-packed scallops, sliced into 1cm cubes
- Juice from half a lime (I used Persian limes, although I guess other kinds work).
- Half white onion, thinly sliced (a coarse dice also works)
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Toss all ingredients together
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before consumption.
- It is no secret that I really like scallop sashimi. Prior to the coronavirus outbreak I had just discovered that Elm City Market stocked frozen scallops by Naked Seafoods (1 lb of sashimi-quality, fairly large Maine scallops for US$15, an absolute steal). I proceeded to consume a bag a week until the coronavirus hit. The next time I visited Elm City Market again I was absolutely shattered to see that the only scallops in stock were either really small ones (for $17 a 1 lb bag bag) or really large ones (for $24 a bag). I sprang for the really large ones a week ago, and while I of course enjoy them, I don't think I can justify to myself the cost of continual consumption.
- I managed to convince Dhruba (incredibly unadventurous eater — eats no meat other than chicken, shrimp, and some fish) to try some of this. He eats scallops now.
- I've had this on (jasmine) rice and on tortilla chips. The latter reminds me of guac (and as it happens I also made guac today). I imagine this would work very well as a taco filling, but don't take my word for it.